Monday, December 15, 2008

Happy holidays!

Hello, fellow bloggers! I must admit, it's been just a little while since my last blog... I've been inspired to get back on the blogging wagon by the children's author Joan Betty Stuchner, who recently visited my school. She just started blogging (joanbettystuchner.blogspot.com)
so I figured it might be something I'd like to get back to as well.

Lots of things have changed for me since I last wrote. This September, although I am still officially the Teacher Librarian at my school, I was given a schedule that involved mostly prep coverage for other teachers. I am able to do some library work (book exchange, modelled reading, limited resource for students and teachers) as well as teaching primary music. I have a piano in my library! I do enjoy the music portion of my job, but I am really missing being able to work more closely with staff and students as resource for information literacy. Instead of using the Teacher Librarians that are already in place (most of whom do prep coverage, if there is even a T-L in the school), our Board has chosen to hire Literacy Improvement Project Teachers who work with staff on comprehensive literacy (modelled, shared and guided reading, SMART goals, etc.). Not that these methods aren't useful, but why not use the staff who already have the expertise in literacy???

There's my rant for the day -- time to go eat lunch -- gotta supervise those kids!

'Til next time -- Deanna

No comments: